Russian Propaganda Accusations Regarding Chemical Weapons Attack Prove to Be PROPAGANDA


Aleksandr Lukashevich, a Russian foreign ministry spokesman, suggested in a video statement that some of the distressing images of dead and wounded civilians resulting from an alleged chemical weapons attack had been uploaded to YouTube one day “before the so-called attack.” That indicated, Mr. Lukashevich said, the claims of an attack might have been part of “a previously planned action” by Syrian rebels intended to provoke anger at President Bashar al-Assad’s forces.  However, as YouTube has previously confirmed to The Lede Blog at the New York Times, its computers automatically assign a date to each video based on the current time in California when the upload begins, which can differ from the date in the user’s time zone. Given that California is 10 hours behind Syria, that means that any clip uploaded to YouTube before 10 a.m. on Wednesday was stamped with Tuesday’s date.

 

Video uploaded to YouTube by تنسيقية بلدة جسرين الغوطة الشرقية early Wednesday from Syria, said to show a victim of a chemical attack, was assigned Tuesday’s date by the video-sharing site’s computers in California.

(H/T: Robert Mackey at The Lede Blog/NY Times)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s